The dining room is an integral room in the house. It’s a space for gathering, eating, and bringing the family together for the holidays. Oftentimes the furniture you decide to buy, if it’s high-quality and well-made, will last through generations.
But how much will it cost? Whether you’re starting from scratch or just filling in a few pieces, we want to keep you informed about every aspect of the design process.
When furnishing a dining room and deciding where to invest your money, there are a few important questions to ask yourself.
- What are the dimensions of the space? This will determine the size of the dining room table and the rug.
- How many people need to fit at the table every day and on special occasions? For some, it may make sense to invest in an extension table if you’ll be seating more people on special occasions. The number of people you need to seat will also affect cost in terms of how many chairs you need to buy.
- Consider the style and shape of the dining room table that works for your space. Do you prefer a round, square, or rectangle table? Are you looking for a modern look or a classic wood dining room table?
Your lifestyle and how the room will be used on a daily basis is always the first thing to reflect on before you decide to make a purchase.
How much will it cost?
If you’re starting from scratch, the cost of furnishing a dining room will range from around $10,000 to $12,000. This range includes all of the basic pieces you need to furnish a dining room: a dining table, chairs, a storage or display piece such as a buffet or hutch, an area rug, and artwork or a mirror.
Of course, the cost will vary depending on budget, lifestyle, personal style, and how many pieces you need to fill out the dining room.
What are you paying for?
As with anything else you invest in, it’s important to know where the cost comes from and how much each individual piece costs.
A solid wood table will, in general, cost more than a veneer table. The type of wood used will also dictate the price. Walnut tends to be a more luxe option, whereas maple can be on the more affordable side. A glass top dining room table, like the Exeter Glass Dining Table, is usually a higher end option.
An extension table, or a table with leaves, will generally cost more than a solid top table. Its ease of use and ability to transform into a larger table plays a part in the cost. Some extension tables will be more expertly designed than others.
A simple solid top table, like the Sarah Solid Top Table, will start around $739. A luxe, high-end option like the Weston Table featured in an extra thick top, can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000.
The price of an extension table will vary depending on size, quality, and wood type. The Saber Leg Table with a leaf is $1,529. If you prefer the ease of a butterfly glide system, the Sarah Extension Table is around $2,500 depending on size.
Read more: How to Choose the Best Dining Table for You
An all wood chair, such as the Cade Dining Chair, starts at around $299. On the more high-end side, the Estelle Arm Chair is $869. If you choose an upholstered armchair, they can cost anywhere from $375, like the Biscaro Chair, to $1,035, like the Soho Chair.
The Design Process can be overwhelming at times. But it doesn’t need to be! Get started simply by filling out our FREE Room Planner Worksheet.
Benefits of investing in high-quality pieces
Now that you know how much it’ll cost to furnish a dining room, you’re probably wondering why it’s important to invest your money in these pieces.
There are so many benefits to buying high-quality furniture.
- Kelly Sullivan, from our Acton showroom, explains, “By investing in a solid, well-crafted piece of furniture now you will actually save money in the end by not having to replace poor quality year after year”
- Well-made furniture is far more durable and won’t need multiple repairs like, for example, a chipped veneer or a wobbly chair leg.
- You’re investing in an heirloom quality piece that’s built for generations and can be passed down in the family.
- High-quality furniture is, in general, a much safer option for your home. They’re built without harmful chemicals that inexpensive imported furniture may have.
- In many cases, these pieces are locally crafted, and by buying them you’re supporting the local economy. Read more about why local manufacturing is so important to us.
- High-quality dining room pieces are customizable. Rather than being stuck with one option, you’re able to choose your personal preferences when it comes to stain color, seat fabric, size, and more.
Read more: How Much Does it Cost to Furnish a Bedroom?
What are the most important pieces to invest in?
Kelly explains that “The most important pieces to invest in are the table and chairs.” Whereas you might prefer to save on a buffet with a bar cart, the dining table and chairs are important pieces to invest in as you’ll be using them every day.
You want to ensure that your table is sturdy, well-made, and functional, and also that the chairs will be comfortable for daily use.
It’s important to invest in an area rug that isn’t too small. The rug should accommodate the chair legs even when the chair is pulled out. As far as the type of rug, a wool rug will withstand the wear and tear of pulling chairs in and out. It’s also a highly cleanable material.
Even when you have the basic pieces in a dining room, it’s the accent pieces that bring the space to life. Investing in accessories such as window treatments, lighting, artwork, and a table runner is an important part of the design process.
Your lifestyle, budget, and style preferences will all play a part in the cost of furnishing your dining room. The best place to start? Come into your nearest showroom and talk to one of our talented Design Consultants. They’ll ask the important questions so that you can design a dining room that works for you and your budget.
Check out our entire Dining Room collection.
Curious about what wood type to choose? Read our detailed guide to wood types in furniture.